HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (January 12, 2021)— Off the heels of record guitar-playing interest in 2020, Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) is entering its 75th anniversary year stronger than ever. This past year, Fender welcomed more than 900k new players via the brand’s online learning app, Fender Play®, driving consumer demand from beginners and record sales milestones. Fender today announced a slate of new products for the first half of 2021 via its second online meeting experience for global dealers. The introductions come as an effort to accommodate recent droves of aspiring players and loyal professional musicians learning and creating at home during the pandemic. New additions include products across categories – from electrics and amplifiers to Squier® guitars and accessories. Fender will continue to use a private interactive portal for its dealers to explore executive and product video, as well as other visuals via an easy-to-follow user interface.
“Interest in guitar and self-expression is at an all-time high worldwide, and now, more people than ever are playing the instrument and learning online,” said Tammy Van Donk, EVP Sales, America and EMEA Fender. “Our immersive, online dealer experience was so well-received across the network last summer, we have decided to continue to engage with our dealers this way as we enter our 75th year. We’re proud of this platform and look forward to supporting our dealers as they equip new players around the world with the innovative Fender gear they need in 2021.”
“We’re proud to usher in Fender’s 75th anniversary with some of our most innovative products to-date,” added Justin Norvell, Executive Vice President, Product at Fender. “Heading into 2021, we’re introducing an elevated, highly collectible selection across all categories – including electric and acoustic guitars, basses, amps, Squier, accessories and more – with something for professionals and all the new players learning at home. A selection of electric guitars made this year will don a commemorative 75th anniversary neck plate and our anniversary models will feature their own special artwork on the neck plate. In true Fender tradition, our products are an extension of our artist community and we continue to find new, innovative ways to support their creative expression.”
2021 NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTIONS
In 1946, Clarence Leonidas “Leo” Fender created Fender Electric Instrument Company and changed the trajectory of modern music forever. The 75th Anniversary Series, handmade in Corona, Calif., celebrates Leo’s bold, revolutionary designs with special versions of the Stratocaster®, Telecaster®, Precision Bass® and Jazz Bass® guitars. Featuring unique finishes, premium pickups and remarkably comfortable necks, these instruments honor the timeless Fender designs that reshaped music. Each limited-edition axe is a fitting homage to one of the world’s most popular electric guitar models, providing classic Fender style and tone in an exclusive, upscale package which includes a custom Inca Silver molded hardshell case with plush Lake Placid Blue interior, a special certificate of authenticity, a 75th anniversary ingot inlaid into the back of the headstock and an engraved anniversary neck plate. All models are available with ash bodies in 2-color Bourbon Burst, one-piece maple necks and Custom Shop pickups. Models include:
- The 75th Anniversary Commemorative Stratocaster® ($1,949.99 USD,£1,839.00, €2,049.00, $3,799 AUD, ¥260,000 JPY) is decked out in a beautiful 2-Color Bourbon Burst finish over an ash body, with gold hardware and pearl button locking tuners. The one-piece maple neck features a Deep “C” profile, rolled fingerboard edges, a “Super-Natural” satin finish and a sculpted neck heel for unsurpassed comfort and playability. Custom Shop Fat ‘60s pickups provide sweet Strat tone with added low-end punch while a 2-point tremolo with cold-rolled steel block enhances sparkle, sustain and tuning stability. Available February.
- The 75th Anniversary Commemorative Telecaster® ($1,949.99 USD, £1,839.00, €2,049.00, $3,799 AUD, ¥260,000 JPY) is decked out in a beautiful 2-Color Bourbon Burst finish over ash body, gold hardware and pearl button locking tuners. The one-piece maple neck features a Deep “C” profile, rolled fingerboard edges, a “Super-Natural” satin finish and a sculpted neck heel for unsurpassed comfort and playability. Custom Shop Twisted Tele pickups deliver searing Telecaster twang with sparkle and clarity. A top-load/string-through bridge with compensated “bullet” saddles provides superb intonation and versatility. Available February.
- The 75th Anniversary Commemorative Jazz Bass® ($2,049.99 USD, £1,979.00, €2,199.00, $3,999 AUD, ¥260,000 JPY) is decked out in a beautiful 2-Color Bourbon Burst finish over an ash body with gold hardware. The one-piece maple neck features a Slim “C” neck profile, rolled fingerboard edges, a “Super- Natural” satin finish and a sculpted neck heel for unsurpassed comfort and playability. Custom Shop ’60s Jazz Bass pickups offer vintage-style growl, mid-range and clarity while the HiMassTM Vintage bridge enhances sustain, resonance and stability. Available February.
- The 75th Anniversary Commemorative Precision Bass® ($1,999.99 USD, £1,979.00, €2,199.00, $3,899 AUD, ¥260,000 JPY) is decked out in a beautiful 2-Color Bourbon Burst finish over an ash body with gold hardware. The one-piece maple neck features a ’63 Precision Bass neck profile, rolled fingerboard edges, a “Super-Natural” satin finish and a sculpted neck heel for unsurpassed comfort and playability. Custom Shop ’62 P Bass pickups serve up vintage-style low-end and punch while the HiMassTM Vintage bridge enhances sustain, resonance and stability. Available February.
Additional Ensenada-built 75th Anniversary guitars include the iconic Stratocaster®, Telecaster®, Jazz Bass® and Precision Bass® models all priced at $849.99 USD, £889, €999, $1,699 AUD, ¥110,000 JPY and are available February 2021 in a special edition Diamond Anniversary with Maple fingerboard. Specs include a “Modern C” profile, medium jumbo frets and a satin finish for supreme comfort and playability. For all details on each model please see here.
In addition to commemorative electric models, Fender alongside publisher Motorbooks will also release a 75thAnniversary book by Dave Hunter: Fender 75 Years available May 18, 2021. Ubiquitous in the music world, Fender guitars and amplifiers are also icons in popular culture, their shapes and sounds instantly recognizable. Authoritatively written and lavishly illustrated, Fender 75 Years is the officially licensed anniversary celebration of the company and its legendary instruments. Illustrated throughout with rare images from company archives, Fender 75 Years treats readers to rare behind-the-scenes views of the shop floor throughout the years, as well as studio imagery of the guitars, rare period advertising and brochures and performance images of Fender players. It’s the definitive look at the Fender’s first three-quarters of a century and a must-have for the shelf of any guitar enthusiast. To learn more or purchase the book, click here through a retailer in the U.S., U.K., Canada or Australia ($50.00 USD; $65.00 CAD). Images here.
Combining classic Fender style and dynamic MP- 90 pickups, the Noventa Series delivers powerful tones and modern playability. Its striking good looks are matched by the midrange bite, crisp highs and smooth lows of the MP-90 pickups. 21 medium jumbo frets and 9.5” radius fingerboards deliver a smooth blend of modern and vintage playability that is distinctly Fender.
- The Noventa Stratocaster® ($1,049.99 USD, £799, €899, $1,999 AUD, ¥135,000 JPY) is an authoritative tone machine – featuring two MP-90 single-coil pickups, master volume and tone controls and a hardtail Strat bridge. The dynamic range of these pickups offers a wide array of versatile and potent tones – suitable for everything from hard rock to jazz and anything in-between. Available in Daphne Blue and Surf Green (Maple fingerboard) and Crimson Red Transparent (Pau Ferro Fingerboard). Available May.
- The Noventa Telecaster® ($949.99 USD, £759, €849, $1,899 AUD, ¥120,000 JPY) is a stripped-down rock machine – featuring a lone MP-90 single-coil, master volume and tone controls, stylish ‘half’ pickguard and ‘cut’ Tele bridge. But this is no one-trick-pony – a surprisingly versatile and dynamic range of tones are on tap with the adjustment of the volume and tone controls. Available in Vintage Blonde and Fiesta Red (Maple fingerboard) and 2-Color Sunburst (Pau Ferro Fingerboard). Available May.
- The Noventa Jazzmaster® ($1,149.99 USD, £899, €999, $2,199 AUD, ¥145,000 JPY) is an audacious sonic powerhouse – featuring three MP-90 single-coil pickups, master volume and tone controls and a Jazzmaster tremolo. The dynamic range of these pickups offers a wide array of multifaceted and robust tones – suitable for everything from hard rock to jazz and anything in-between. Available in Fiesta Red and Surf Green (Maple fingerboard) and Walnut (Pau Ferro Fingerboard). Available May.
For players who demand the ultimate in performance and tone, the American Ultra series is Fender’s most advanced series of guitars and basses. The addition of four new American Ultra Luxe models ($2,299.99-$2,399.99) in 2021 will bring the guitar playing experience up a major notch. These elevated models in this series feature versatile, state-of-the-art specs that will inspire players to push their skills to new heights. The American Ultra Luxe series features unique Augmented “D” neck profile with Ultra rolled fingerboard edges for endless playing comfort and a tapered neck heel that allows easy access to the highest register. A speedy 10”-14” compound-radius fingerboard with 22 stainless steel medium-jumbo frets means effortless and accurate soloing. Models include:
- American Ultra Luxe Stratocaster® ($2,299.99 USD, £2,239, €2,499, $4,499 AUD, ¥295,000 JPY). The American Ultra Luxe Stratocaster features Ultra NoiselessTM Vintage pickups and advanced wiring options providing endless tonal possibilities – without hum. Available in 2-Color Sunburst (Rosewood fingerboard) and 2-Color Sunburst and Plasma Red Burst (Maple fingerboard). Available April.
- American Ultra Luxe Stratocaster® Floyd Rose® HSS ($2,399.99 USD, £2,339, €2,599, $4,699 AUD, ¥305,000 JPY). The American Ultra Luxe Stratocaster Floyd Rose HSS features Ultra NoiselessTM Hot single-coil pickups and Ultra Double TapTM humbucking pickup, along with advanced wiring options, providing endless tonal possibilities – without hum. The Original Floyd Rose Tremolo system allows for precision vibrato effects while staying perfectly in tune. Available in Silverburst (Maple fingerboard) and Mystic Black (Rosewood fingerboard). Available April.
- American Ultra Luxe Telecaster® ($2,299.99 USD, , £2,239, €2,499, $4,499 AUD, ¥295,000 JPY) This model features Ultra NoiselessTM Vintage pickups and advanced wiring options providing endless tonal possibilities – without hum. Available in Transparent Surf Green and 2-Color Sunburst. Available April.
- American Ultra Luxe Telecaster® Floyd Rose® HH ($2,399.99 USD, £2,339, €2,599, $4,699 AUD, ¥305,000 JPY) Featuring an Original Floyd Rose Tremolo system, stainless-steel frets and eye-catching custom colors with matching painted headcaps, the American Ultra Luxe Telecaster Floyd Rose HH is Ultra – elevated. This model features Custom Double TapTM humbucking pickups and advanced wiring options, providing endless tonal possibilities – without hum. The Original Floyd Rose Tremolo system allows for precision vibrato effects while staying perfectly in tune. The sculpted rear body contours are as beautiful as they are functional. Available in Mystic Black (Maple Fingerboard). Available April.
In late 2020, Fender released the all-new American Professional II series, the second generation of its flagship electric guitars and basses widely adopted by players and working guitarists in the world with over 60 percent of Fender artists across all genres. The series combines a longstanding history of quality with handmade craftsmanship to provide the world’s most relevant artists with a better tool that transcends more genres than any other series before it. 2021 brings additions, such as a Left-Handed Stratocaster, Telecaster, Jazzmaster, Precision Bass and Jazz Bass models, as well as 5-String and fretless basses to the currently available 10 models. Price ranges from $1,499.99-$1,799.99 USD, £1,599-£1,829, €1,849-€2,099, $3,099-$3,599 AUD, ¥200,000-¥220,000 JPY.
Watch the American Professional II campaign video here and demo videos here. To learn more about the American Professional II series including detailed product/spec descriptions, click here. Campaign artist, “The One. For All” campaign images, Lifestyle product, Individual product and group product images here.
In true tradition, the Fender® Artist Signature Series honors iconic musicians through product progression and storytelling, creating instruments inspired by the unique specifications of the world’s greatest guitarists and bassists. 2021 will see Fender and some of the world’s leading players continue to blaze trails of product innovation, with this year’s launches including:
- Chrissie Hynde Telecaster® ($1,399.99 USD, £1,249, €1,399, $2,699 AUD, ¥175,000 JPY) With a Telecaster guitar in hand, Chrissie Hynde formed The Pretenders in 1978 and quickly established the band as a rock and roll powerhouse. Chrissie’s churning Telecaster rhythms have been the heartbeat of the band’s sound since the beginning. In 2021, Fender and Chrissie Hynde launch the Chrissie Hynde Telecaster complete with an alder body finished in Faded Ice Blue Metallic RoadWorn® lacquer; vintage-style ’50s single-coil Tele pickups voiced to match Chrissie’s original set; a 6-stainless steel barrel saddle bridge; and much more in an incredibly faithful recreation of one of the world’s most iconic guitars, Hynde’s treasured ‘65 model. An artist-requested player-friendly update on the new Chrissie Hynde Telecaster® are locking tuners, which offer increased tuning stability and make string changes quicker. Available February 2021.
- Mike McCready 1960 Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster® ($15,000 USD, £13,399, €14,999, $21,999 AUD, ¥1,750,000 JPY) In this first-time collaboration between Fender and Pearl Jam’s lead guitarist Mike McCready, the Fender Custom Shop is honored to re-create this incredible instrument in exact detail, and in doing so a long held secret about the guitar’s lineage was forced to be revealed to its owner: the Strat was actually constructed in 1960, not 1959 as had long been believed. For this limited 60-piece Masterbuilt run, the Custom Shop’s Vincent Van Trigt carefully disassembled the guitar in order to note and measure every detail, curve and scratch – and there are plenty of scratches, thanks to McCready’s exuberant style! The recreation features an ultimate Relic® lacquer finish on a two-piece select alder body; a flat-sawn flame maple neck with a 1960 “oval C” profile; and a flat-lam rosewood fingerboard with 21 vintage frets. Custom Josefina hand-wound pickups matched to the originals are connected to a five-way switch and vintage wiring, including a “treble bleed” tone capacitor. Other features include a three-ply vinyl pickguard, vintage-style synchronized tremolo with Callaham bridge block, vintage-style tuning machines, bone nut, and wing string tree with metal spacer. Includes deluxe hardshell case, strap, polishing cloth, McCready case candy kit and certificate of authenticity. Available February 2021.
- Ben Gibbard Mustang® ($1,099 USD, £979, €1,099, $2,099 AUD, ¥140,000 JPY) Ben Gibbard has been a prominent voice in indie-rock since the late ‘90s as singer-songwriter for platinum-selling band Death Cab for Cutie and also The Postal Service. His melodic, personal songwriting style and the band’s powerful sound have been cited as inspirations by countless musicians since. Modified ‘70s Fender Mustangs have been Gibbard’s preferred touring guitar choice for years and the Ben Gibbard Mustang® is a faithful recreation of his touring workhorses, with some bold enhancements. Boasting a chambered ash body design for increased resonance, a reduced weight and one-piece 22-fret modern “C”-shaped maple neck, this guitar is a comfortable and highly versatile stage performer. Includes strap locks and Fender gig bag. Available March 2021.
- Joe Strummer Campfire ($499.99 USD, £429, €499, $899 AUD, ¥45,000 JPY) More than 40 years after the Clash’s iconic album London Calling was released, Joe Strummer – the band’s articulate and fiery co-founder, lyricist, rhythm guitarist and lead singer – remains an incredible influence to players all over the world. The Joe Strummer Campfire guitar is inspired by the legendary campfires that he held at Glastonbury Festival and are now continued annually in the Strummerville area at the festival. Everyone was invited to join the party, with Strummer encouraging a loose assembly of people to his “campfire” to bond by the rising flames until dawn. This small-body acoustic-electric guitar is the perfect companion for gatherings of any size and to continue Strummer’s legacy of bringing people together through music. Boasting a solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides, the Campfire reflects Strummer’s legendary aesthetic with its matte black finish, nickel hardware and star inlays. The Fender Custom Shop will also release Joe Strummer ‘59 Esquire in April 2021. Details and specs will be revealed in the coming months. Available March 2021.
- Dhani Harrison Signature Ukulele ($279.99 USD, £229, €259, $549 AUD, ¥30,000 JPY) Having carved a unique career path as a multi-instrumentalist, composer, and singer-songwriter, Dhani Harrison’s versatility onstage and behind the scenes has led him to collaborations with a range of artists as varied as Wu-Tang Clan to Jeff Lynne. Harrison grew up playing the ukulele, which soon became an integral tool in his songwriting. Now he’s partnered with Fender to launch the Dhani Harrison Signature Ukulele. The model is available in two different finishes, each with its own unique fretboard inlays and engraved designs on the back of the instrument, all which hold personal significance to Harrison. The Dhani Harrison Signature Ukulele is designed for live performance, both are tenor-sized and feature a solid ovangkol top with ovangkol back and sides as well as a ¾ depth, upgraded Fender electronics, distinctive build and eye-catching aesthetics that will challenge you to expand your musical horizons. Available May 2021.
- Jason Isbell Custom Telecaster® ($1,499.99 USD, £1,249, €1,439, $2,799 AUD, ¥195,000 JPY) Instantly recognizable for his incisive lyrics, powerful voice and blistering guitar chops, Grammy-Award winning Jason Isbell has established himself firmly at the front of the Americana movement. The visually striking Jason Isbell Custom Telecaster® features a Chocolate Sunburst whilst the Fender RoadWorn® aging process gives it the authentic look and feel of a well-loved instrument. Meanwhile, the vintage-inspired mid-`60s “C”-shaped maple neck and 21-fret rosewood make for sparkling, fiery tones associated with his unique blend of traditional roots music and modern rock – a guitar that sounds and plays as good as it looks. The Telecaster is double-bound, a unique and premium feature at this price point. Available May 2021.
The ‘68 Custom range has become an extremely popular amp series for guitarists who love classic Fender sounds. This year, Fender expands that range with the addition of the Pro Reverb and Vibro Champ. For those who want a bit more variety, additions to the Mustang line will ensure players have access to any tone possible. In addition, the Mustang Micro, an exciting addition to the Mustang line, will ensure players can practice with great tone anywhere.
- ‘68 Custom Pro Reverb ($1,299.99 USD, £1,349, €1,499, $2499 AUD, ¥168,000 JPY) The ‘68 Custom Pro Reverb™ takes its cues from the original 40-watt model, improving its portability and tonal flexibility by reducing the cabinet size and weight, moving to a single-channel format and single 12” speaker and adding a middle tone control. This refined and upgraded amp is the perfect size and volume for almost any gig and may be the ultimate pedal-friendly platform. Available April.
- ‘68 Custom Vibro Champ Reverb ($749.99 USD, £799, €899, $1449 AUD, ¥92,000 JPY) At just 5 watts, the original Vibro Champ® was famous for its classic Fender tremolo, tube sparkle and killer grind. The `68 Custom Vibro Champ Reverb improves on the classic amp by adding hall reverb and using a larger 10” speaker for increased low end. These additions make this little wonder perfect for rehearsal, home recording or even small gigs. Available April.
- Mustang MicroTM ($99.99 USD, £89.99, €99.99, $219 AUD, ¥11,000 JPY) The Mustang Micro is a complete personal guitar amplifier featuring a wide selection of tones from the wildly popular Mustang series of amps. Simply plug Mustang Micro directly into your guitar, connect a pair of headphones and choose your amp and effects. It’s ideal for any player from beginner to pro, making it quick and easy to get great tones when jamming silently at home or on the go. You can even play along to your favorite tracks or instructional videos using the built-in Bluetooth audio connection. Main features include: an all-in-one personal headphone amplifier with onboard DSP, 12 amp and 13 effects models from the Mustang GTX series for a wide range of clean and dirty tones, Bluetooth audio streaming with audio/video sync for playing along in real time and a USB interface for recording output and firmware updates. Available April.
In response to a growing market abuzz with new players inspired in part by the 2020 Fender Play Through initiative, Fender is introducing several updates to the entry-level Squier® lineup in 2021 including an all-new batch of models in the Contemporary Series. Perfect for the player seeking enticing high-performance features and bold aesthetics, the Squier Contemporary Series offers value-packed modern remixes of familiar Fender platforms. These new models all feature modern-voiced Squier SQR™ pickups, rich-looking roasted maple necks for optimal stability, sculpted neck heels for improved hand comfort all the way to the upper frets and painted headstocks with chrome logos for a super-premium look. Select new models include unique pickup configurations and coil-tap switching for single-coil tones, black hardware for a stealthy aesthetic vibe and premium components including a tremolo system by Floyd Rose® for smooth string-bending effects. Models include:
- Squier® Contemporary Stratocaster® Special ($429.99 USD, £379, €429, $949 AUD, ¥52,000 JPY) The Squier Contemporary Stratocaster features a set of Squier SQR™ alnico single-coil pickups positioned in a “special” configuration with the middle pickup near the bridge pickup for a unique variety of dynamically responsive settings. Available April.
- Squier® Contemporary Stratocaster® Special HT ($429.99 USD, £379, €429, $949 AUD, ¥52,000 JPY) The Squier Contemporary Stratocaster Special HT shares the pickup configuration of the Strat® Special with a string-through-body hardtail bridge for optimal body resonance and rock-solid string feel, even in drop tunings. Available April.
- Squier® Contemporary Stratocaster® HH FR ($449.99 USD, £369, €429, $999 AUD, ¥52,000 JPY) The Squier Contemporary Stratocaster HH FR features dual SQR™ Atomic™ humbucking pickups with coil-tap settings for single-coil tones and a tremolo system by Floyd Rose® for smooth yet rock-solid vibrato action. Available April.
- Squier® Contemporary Telecaster® RH ($429.99 USD, £379, €429, $949 AUD, ¥52,000 JPY) The Squier Contemporary Telecaster RH features an eye-catching bound neck and body with an SQR™ rail humbucking pickup in the bridge position and an Atomic™ humbucker in the neck position. Available April.
- Squier® Contemporary Jaguar® HH ST ($449.99 USD, £369, €429, $999 AUD, ¥60,000 JPY) The Squier Contemporary Jaguar HH ST features a pair of SQR™ Atomic™ humbucking pickups with coil-tap and series/parallel switching on the upper control plate and a stop tailpiece for solid string feel, even in drop tunings. Available April.
The 2021 Fender line of accessories speaks to a player’s personal style and tone preferences, while adding ease to the entire playing experience. Offerings include Camouflage Collection cables, Right HeightTM and MustangTM Saddle straps and gig bags, Roadworn Necks, FlashTM Clip On Tuners adding extra ease to the tuning process, as well as new strap offerings in a variety of patterns. To top it off, Pedal Power Supplies expand Fender’s Effect Pedals product solutions. Accessories will be available for purchase Winter/Spring 2021. ($19.99-$249.99 USD, £15.49-£449.99, €17.49-€499.99, $25-$499 AUD, ¥3,400-¥45,000 JPY). In addition, Fender will debut new lifestyle apparel in 2021.
For technical specs, additional information on new Fender products and to find a retail partner near you, visit www.fender.com. Join the conversation on social media by following @Fender.