Sudanese-Scottish artist Eliza Shaddad gets acidly poignant on new single Now You’re Alone, out now via Rosemundy Records/Wow and Flutter. This is the third single taken from Eliza’s upcoming album The Woman You Want, due for release 16th July 2021.
Now You’re Alone is an epic inquiry into connection amid isolation. Written through all the tumult of early 2020, Eliza says “I was feeling apart from the world and raging against that, watching the news every day and feeling like I wanted to scream, so I wrote a song you can scream-sing to”. Half apology, half power-trip the Bond-esque opus is a key darker moment from the forthcoming record.
The single stretches from an intimately acoustic ode into a string-drenched, guitar-driven anthem that showcases Eliza’s most vulnerable and vitriolic sides. Eliza’s vocal reaches new heights with a soaring longing that is equalled only by the orchestral arrangement, with eerily sliding strings bringing a desperate tension and unrest to the stark lyrics and indie bedrock soundscape. Recorded incredibly at home in Cornwall with producer BJ Jackson, Now You’re Alone was mixed by Grammy Award winner Sam Okell (Celeste, PJ Harvey, Graham Coxon) and mastered by Tim Rowkins (Rina Sawayama).
Eliza’s previously released upcoming album tracks Blossom and Heaven have already received support from the likes of The Independent, The Sunday Times and Clash Magazine, as well as BBC 6Music‘s Lauren Laverne, Guy Garvey and Gideon Coe and BBC Radio 1‘s Jack Saunders to name a few. Eliza’s version of Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood, a cover of one of her favourite artists Nina Simone, has been climbing the charts on iTunes and Shazam, and is the end credit song in the first episode of hit Netflix show Behind Her Eyes.
Catch Eliza live on her upcoming 2021 UK tour at the following dates:
8th November – Green Door Store – Brighton
9th November – Crofters Rights – Bristol
10th November – The Portland Arms – Cambridge
11th November – The Dome – London
13th November – Voodoo Daddy’s – Norwich
18th November – Clwb Ifor Back – Cardiff
19th November – YES (Basement) – Manchester
20th November – The Hug and Pint – Glasgow
22nd November – Oporto – Leeds
23rd November – The Victoria – Birmingham
24th November – Yellow Arch Studios – Sheffield
You’re Never Alone…
- Eliza has released three EPs and one LP working with independent UK labels Beatnik Creative, Big Indie, and German label FerryHouse Productions and her work has received critical acclaim from The Times, The Independent, The Fader, Rolling Stone, Stereogum, MOJO Magazine, Refinery 29, CMU, Clash, The Skinny, She Shreds and Bandcamp Daily.
- Radio highlights include support from Lauren Laverne, Huw Stephens, and Zane Lowe, and airplay across BBC Radio, Radio X, Absolute, NTS and internationally Apple Music 1, Radio Eins, KCRW and Triple J.
- Eliza has also previously been included in Spotify‘s New Music Friday, Alternative Generation Feelgood/Ultimate Indie, Indie Radar, Van Life, The Stress Buster, Alternative Generation, and Believe the Hype playlists.
- Her reputation for powerful live shows has seen her touring extensively, playing dates in the UK, EU, and USA with the likes of Bedouine, Kae Tempest, Lucy Rose, Oh Wonder, Max Jury, Keane and Turin Brakes.
- She has collaborated with award-winning poet Anthony Anaxagorou, contemporary jazz group Hansu-Tori, and Grammy-winners Clean Bandit, and is a founding member of ten-year-strong female arts collective Girls Girls Girls, which works to empower women within the arts, and to raise awareness and funding for the anti-female genital mutilation charity Orchid Project.
- In 2021 Eliza is set to undertake an ambitious live project with the support of Arts Council England and Jerwood Arts, which builds on a full year of weekly Instagram livestreams and collaborations which have been viewed in excess of 250,000 times.
The Woman You Want is out 16th July 2021: