NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Following performances on NPR’s “Tiny Desk” in May and ABC’s “Good Morning America” in June, reigning ACM New Female Artist, CMA New Artist of the Year and three-time GRAMMY nominee Ashley McBryde will appear on CBS’ “This Morning: Saturday” on July 11, performing three songs at Ryman Auditorium from her critically-acclaimed sophomore album Never Will (Warner Music Nashville).
“The thing about this time – in life and in music – is that connection matters, even more, when we can’t be together,” says the Mammoth Spring, Arkansas native. “Physical distancing is tough, however socially I don’t know that I’ve ever talked to my band, fans, family and friends more over the phone or facetime than I have in these last few months.
“In the rare opportunities when we do gather to play you music – if you look closely during the performance Saturday on CBS – one thing only the Trybe may notice is the teary eyes and look of pure joy in Chris’ [Harris, acoustic guitar], Matt [Helmkamp, electric guitar] and my eyes as we played music together for the first time in a really long time and we got to do it on the Ryman stage. I hope our joy in performing these songs for you comes through and helps lighten your mood this weekend like it did ours.”
The follow-up to her GRAMMY-nominated debut, Never Will was released April 3 as one of NPR and Rolling Stone‘s most anticipated projects of 2020 and has continued to gain momentum, earning a title as one of the best albums of the year so far by Rolling Stone, SPIN, Esquire, Variety, Billboard, Paste, Stereogum and American Songwriter.
Upon its release, Never Will grabbed the attention of critics, with Variety claiming McBryde’s “rowdy and emotionally stirring second album represents the pinnacle of what contemporary mainstream country can be,” while Wall Street Journal declares McBryde has “moved to the forefront of today’s country, and this consistent, exciting and always smart album shows why.”
American Songwriter praises, “McBryde’s husky vocals and self-aware personality struts with confidence” and “Never Will proves the tough gal persona she established on that stunning debut was no fluke or act,” as SPIN elaborates, “but the hard exterior can’t disguise the poignance and poetry all over Never Will.”
Earlier this year, McBryde took to NPR’s “Tiny Desk” to perform four songs from Never Will, including current top 15 single and one of NPR‘s “25 Best Songs of 2019” “One Night Standards,” along with album opener “Hang In There Girl,” “Velvet Red” and “Sparrow.” Watch her performance HERE.
Never Will is available everywhere HERE.
Never Will track listing is as follows:
- Hang In There Girl (Ashley McBryde, Jeremy Bussey)
- One Night Standards (Ashley McBryde, Nicolette Hayford, Shane McAnally)
- Shut Up Sheila (Nicolette Hayford, Charles Chisholm)
- First Thing I Reach For (Ashley McBryde, Randall Clay, Mick Holland)
- Voodoo Doll (Ashley McBryde, Nicolette Hayford, Brandy Clark, Connie Harrington, Jake Mitchell, Aaron Raitiere)
- Sparrow (Ashley McBryde, Nicolette Hayford, Brandy Clark, Connie Harrington, Jake Mitchell, Aaron Raitiere)
- Martha Divine (Ashley McBryde, Jeremy Spillman)
- Velvet Red (Ashley McBryde, Patrick Savage, Daniel Smalley)
- Stone (Ashley McBryde, Nicolette Hayford)
- Never Will (Ashley McBryde, Chris Harris, Blue Foley, Matt Helmkamp, Christian Sancho, Victor Quinn Hill)
- Styrofoam (Randall Clay)