July 14, 2023 – Nanci Griffith’s music left an indelible mark on the American roots music community. The trailblazing singer and songwriter, who would have celebrated her 70th birthday this month, left behind a remarkable and enduring body of work that will likely inspire future generations of songwriters for years to come. On September 22, her artistic legacy will be honored through the all-star tribute, More Than a Whisper: Celebrating the Music of Nanci Griffith.
Today, John Prine and Kelsey Waldon’s deeply moving rendition of “Love at the Five & Dime” is released. Listen to it HERE
The poignant and heartfelt duet, recorded shortly before Prine’s untimely passing in 2020, perfectly encapsulates Griffith’s abundant gifts as a storyteller of grace and economy.
“John and Nanci were friends and musical collaborators from way back in the late 1980s,” recalls Fiona Prine. “I am especially proud that Oh Boy Records recording artist Kelsey Waldon sings with John on this beautiful tribute to Nanci.”
More Than a Whisper: Celebrating the Music of Nanci Griffith features Griffith’s friends, collaborators, and fans interpreting her most beloved songs, including Shawn Colvin, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Sarah Jarosz, Lyle Lovett and Kathy Mattea, John Prine and Kelsey Waldon, and Mary Gauthier, who also shares her admiration for Griffith in heartfelt liner notes. Recorded over several years in studios across America, More Than a Whisper also includes stirring contributions from Brandy Clark, Billy Strings and Molly Tuttle, Iris DeMent, Todd Snider, and Aaron Lee Tasjan with Patty Griffin, while Ida Mae and The War and Treaty both appear exclusively on the expanded CD, digital, and HD versions of the album. All proceeds from More Than a Whisper will benefit Nashville’s Cumberland Heights, a non-profit treatment facility offering hope and healing to those affected by drug and alcohol addiction. Click here to pre-order More Than a Whisper: Celebrating The Music of Nanci Griffith.
More Than a Whisper: Celebrating the Music of Nanci Griffith Tracklist (CD/Digital)
1. You Can’t Go Home Again (Sarah Jarosz)
2. Love at the Five & Dime (John Prine, Kelsey Waldon)
3. Listen to the Radio (Billy Strings, Molly Tuttle)
4. Love Wore a Halo (Back Before the War) (Emmylou Harris)
5. Trouble in the Fields (Lyle Lovett, Kathy Mattea)
6. Gulf Coast Highway (Brandy Clark)
7. Outbound Plane (Shawn Colvin)
8. Radio Fragile (Ida Mae)*
9. It’s a Hard Life Wherever You Go (Steve Earle)
10. Late Night Grande Hotel (Aaron Lee Tasjan)
11. Ford Econoline (Todd Snider)
12. Banks of the Pontchartrain (Iris DeMent)
13. More Than a Whisper (Mary Gauthier)
14. From a Distance (The War and Treaty)*