As seen on Guitar Girl Magazine Issue 5
If you are looking for a guitar with acoustic feel but electric sound, meet the Fender Newporter Special from Fender’s California Series. This acoustic-electric guitar easily transforms an acoustic sound into an edgy performance. I played this acoustic in my home studio to see what it could do and was thoroughly surprised. I loved the solid design. The Newporter Special has a solid mahogany back and sides with a solid Sitka spruce top finished in matte black which is stunning. Fender described the single cutaway body as their exclusive Newporter body shape, which I found easy to play while still looking sleek. Often times, acoustic guitars have chunky bodies, making it difficult to wrap your arm around the body to play. This guitar has a body build that made it easy and fun to play sitting or standing.
The headstock is the traditional Stratocaster 6 inline design painted in the same matte black finish as the rest of the body giving this guitar the traditional Fender feel and vibe. Playing this guitar, I was able to move up and down the neck with ease and was surprised with the quick action.
When it came to tuning this bad boy, the preamp system installed gave a precise tuning while still giving me control over my bass, middle, and treble settings. Additionally, the Fishman®-designed pickup system made this guitar sound warm and electrifying. I played one of my favorite songs by my band, “Another Tear,” and was pleased to see the similarities between acoustic and electric sounds of the guitar.
For me, I am always looking for an acoustic-electric that gives me the same feeling I have when I play my clean electric. The Fender Newporter is one of those guitars that any guitarist can play for any gig, no matter what genre. This guitar is amazing, and I would use it for any gig!
• Fender-exclusive Newporter body shape
• Painted solid Sitka spruce top; painted solid mahogany back and sides• Fender- and Fishman-designed pickup/preamp system with Volume, Bass, Treble, with Tuner and Phase Controls
• Matching painted 6-in-line headstock
• Mahogany neck with slim taper “C”-shaped profile, pau ferro fingerboard, bone nut, maple dot inlays, and Modern Viking bridge|
• 25.6” scale
• 20 frets
• 15.75” fingerboard radius
• Factory Strings: Fender® Dura-Tone® Coated 80/20 Bronze (.012-.052 Gauge)
• Bridge pins: Ebony with Mother of Pearl Dots
• Chrome hardware
• Sealed nickel tuning machines
• Satin finish
• Includes deluxe gig bag