All guitarists need a tuner, whether you are a pro or beginner. I know there are a few exceptions to the rule as some guitars have built-in tuners, like my Luna Americana, but most acoustics do not have a built-in tuner and, of course, you need a tuner for your electric guitar.
You can tune your guitar the old school way, by matching tones from string to string. However,if you start with the sixth string and it is out of tune, you can tune to that note but your guitar will be out of tune.
BOSS tuners are one of the most popular tuners on the market and while working on my new recording project with drummer/vocalist Courtney Wolfe, I had the opportunity to use a Boss TU-3. The TU-3 has a stompbox body, which is great for live shows, and a 21 segment LED meter and High-Brightness modes which again are great for live shows. The High-Brightness mode is especially great when playing outdoors when the sun is blaring and it’s difficult to see. With this mode, you can easily read the display and still tune your guitar.
The BOSS TU-3 tuner will not only tune your guitar, but also has a note name indicator that displays the notes of 6-string basses and 7 string-guitars.
I am a fan of user-friendly gear that can be easily used by a novice player or in a more complex manner by a professional musician. This tuner does just that and is great! It was easy to see the LED meter and tune quickly and accurately.
I have an ancient BOSS tuner, the back has fallen off and it has been through a lot but still works great. BOSS quality is amazing and I recommend this tuner, especially for live shows and for any guitarist who does not play in standard tuning.
Boss TU-3 Features
• 21-segment LED meter with brightness control
• High-Brightness mode enhances meter visibility outdoors
• Accu-Pitch Sign function provides visual verification when tuning is complete
• Chromatic and Guitar/Bass mode (supports 7-string guitars and 6-string basses)
• Flat tuning is supported with Guitar Flat mode
• Drop tuning support up to six semitones below standard pitch
• Signal is automatically muted when the tuner is on
• Supplies power for up to 7 BOSS compact effect pedals
~ Katrina Johannson