UPDATE APRIL 19th: The ASCAP EXPO lineup has grown again with the addition of Grizzly Bear’s Chris Taylor to the “We Create Music” panel and MICK, who will DJ Friday night’s After-Hours Networking event. Other additions are Steve Berman, Ryan Born, Colleen Fitzpatrick, Brandon Jay, Grace Jones, Paul Kersh, Teresa LaBarbera Whites, George Rogerson, Jonathan Sadoff and Amrit Singh.
From major speakers like Bill Withers, Richard Marx, and No I.D. to Master Sessions with Ingrid Michaelson, Da Internz, Mike Reid and Savan Kotecha, to panels covering craft, business, legal, legislative, marketing, music placement and everything in between, the ASCAP EXPO will offer an unparalleled focus on the art and commerce of music. Several past attendees have gained publishing and recording deals, collaborators and career-changing experiences as a result of their participating at the EXPO.
ASCAP is thrilled to announce the full programming for the 2015 ASCAP “I Create Music” EXPO, which kicks-off with ASCAP’s General Annual Membership Meeting. Held April 30th through May 2nd at the Loews Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles, this year’s event will give attendees a broader range of content than ever before, from Keynotes with legendary songwriters and modern superstars to Master Sessions, panels covering an incredibly diverse range of topics, music feedback opportunities, performances, networking receptions and exhibits. The diverse range and number of top panelists from across the musical spectrum who will be coming together to share their expertise and connect with emerging music creators reflects an event that is pure in its purpose and strong in its impact.
The ASCAP EXPO’s Keynote Interview with Bill Withers will occur just two weeks after his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! This candid session will be a full-circle moment for interviewer Aloe Blacc, who attended the 2010 ASCAP EXPO specifically to hear Bill speak.
Other highlights of the program include “Hit Songwriters: In It to Win It” which takes place on Thursday, April 30 at 5:30 PM. This heavyweight panel brings together some of the biggest names in pop songwriting today. Kevin Kadish (“All About That Bass” – Meghan Trainor), Greg Kurstin (“Heartbeat Song” – Kelly Clarkson), William Larsen (“Am I Wrong” – Nico&Vinz), Jesse Shatkin (“Chandelier” – Sia), and Sevyn Streeter (“Yeah 3X” – Chris Brown) will explore in-depth what it takes to reach the top of the charts.
For the 10th year in a row, ASCAP EXPO Master Sessions will offer emerging songwriters the chance to hear directly from some of the most successful music creators today. This year features Master Sessions from songwriter/artist Richard Marx, film composer Richard Bellis, top Latin songwriter Claudia Brant, film/TV/ concert composer Douglas Cuomo, rap production duo Da Internz, pop songwriter Savan Kotecha, indie pop singer-songwriter Ingrid Michaelson and country music writer and former professional football player Mike Reid. These candid sessions will offer insider insight on everything from “Creativity on a Deadline” (Bellis) to the journey from sports star to songwriter (Reid).
ASCAP “I Create Music” EXPO programming will include:
Keynotes and Conversations
- Who He Is (and What is He is To You): “I Create Music” Interview with Bill Withers; Interviewed by Aloe Blacc
- “We Create Music” with Tody Gad, Deborah Lurie, Richard Marx, No I.D. and Grizzly Bear’s Chris Taylor
- Washington D©: How New Laws and Copyright Changes Will Impact Music Creators with ASCAP President Paul Williams, Congressman Doug Collins, Congressman Hakeem Jeffries and Songwriter/Artist Aloe Blacc
- Master Session with Richard Bellis: Creativity on a Deadline
- Master Session with Claudia Brant: Anatomy Of A Great Song
- Master Session with Douglas Cuomo: Musician’s Survival Toolkit
- Master Session with Da Internz: Write Ya Life, An Interactive Session
- Master Session with Savan Kotecha: The Economics and Anatomy of a Hit Songwriter
- Master Session with Richard Marx: Right Here Waiting
- Master Session with Ingrid Michaelson: The Way I Am
- Master Session with Mike Reid: From the Gridiron to the GRAMMYs
- Hit Songwriters: In It to Win It with Kevin Kadish, Greg Kurstin, William Larsen, Jesse Shatkin and Sevyn Streeter
- Live Multi-Genre Song Feedback Workshop Series with Darrell Brown
- Rock Songwriters on the Move with John Feldmann, Chris Lorde-Alge and Deryck Whibley (Sum 41)
- Murphy’s Laws of Songwriting
- Trading Places: Composers Working As Songwriters (and Vice-Versa) with Jared Gutstadt, Daniel Heath, Brandon Jay, Shawn Patterson and Nick Thorburn
- Jack of All Scores: Versatility in TV Composing and Feedback with Roger Neill, Craig Marks, Joey Newman, Elvin Ross and Jonathan Sadoff
- Straight Talk and Feedback from Country Music Pros
- R&B/Hip-Hop Feedback
- Pop/Rock Feedback
- Women Behind the Music with Goapele, Erica Grayson, Faith Newman, Santigold and Sevyn Streeter
- The Music Supervisor’s Mission
- Higher Calling: Growing a Career in Gospel Music with Maurette Brown Clark, LaShawn Daniels, Janice Gaines, William McDowell and Jonathan McReynolds
- Desmond Child Presents Fair Trade Music: Re-Visioning the Music Ecosystem
- On the Come Up: Mama We Made It
- Know Your Placement: Music Publishing in Film, TV and Beyond
- Making the Most of Your ASCAP Membership
- Managing Your Online Presence (Presented by Squarespace)
- Strike Up the Brand: How to Boost Your Music Career with Partners and Sponsors (Presented by Billboard)
- Website Demolition Derby (Presented by Bandzoogle)
- Mastering Workshop: Simple Steps to Radio Ready (Presented by iZotope)
- Shaping Ideas and Producing (Presented by Native Instruments)
- The Instrumentalist-Producer’s Guide to Finishing Music (Presented by Ableton)
- Nuts & Bolts of the Music Business with Donald Passman, Esq.
- The Visual Streams: Making Money With Your Music on YouTube and Beyond (Presented by AdRev & Killer Tracks)
- Show Me The Money: Creating your DIY Monetization Strategy (Presented by CD Baby)
- Creative Cohorts: How a Writer-Publisher Team Works Together
- Adoption vs. Babysitting: How to Choose Between a Music Publishing and Admin Deal (Presented by Lommen Abdo)
- Building Your Team
- The Writers Jam with Andrew Bird, Aloe Blacc, Ashley Gorley and Andrea Martin
- “I Create Music” Center Stage with Kevin Cronin (REO Speedwagon), Hanson, Mike Reid and Valerie Simpson
- ASCAP EXPO iStandard Producer and Rapper Showcase
- ASCAP EXPO Attendee Showcase (Presented by Eventbrite)
- Special Performances on the WorldArts Playback Stage (Presented by WorldArts)
Dozens of sponsor sessions consisting of workshops and product demos
One-on-One and Lunch Roundtable Mentor Sessions
Music equipment, resources and technology exhibits
And much more!